Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Danica Patrick interview

Coffee Club Newsletter ©
Volume 18, No. 26 - April 20, 2008

Any similarity to persons actually living or events actually happening is coincidental.

TR: Good afternoon. Are you Danica Patrick?
DP: Yes, I am. Do I look like Madonna? I’ll show you my I.D.
TR: No, no, it’s just a formality. I know who you are.
DP: I’m the best female driver of all time, right?
TR: That’s saying a lot.
DP: Do you know a few female drivers?
TR: I’ve seen thousands on the freeway.
DP: I meant professional racing drivers like me.
TR: You’re the only one I ever heard of. I also saw your picture in Sports Illustrated.
DP: I thought that was nice.
TR: You are so pretty. I forgot what I did with my questions.
DP: Don’t worry about your questions. Let’s just talk about whatever.
TR: I read that you make more money advertising yourself than from winning races.
DP: Well, it all ties in. Even if I haven’t won the big one yet, there’s no reason not to get some endorsement money, don’t you think?
TR: I don’t know.
DP: Well, I do. People think I’m better at promoting myself than I am at my sport. Let them think that. I just won my first Indy Series race in Japan. That should say something about me. Even Tiger Woods doesn’t win all the time. I’m only 25. I have another 45 good years ahead of me still. I can’t just use part of who I am to earn a living. My talent rep wants to market all of me - nothing wrong with that.
TR: Do you think people will be jealous of your success?
DP: I try not to think about it. For me, it’s just competition – the whole competitive spirit in people. People will criticize me regardless. I will continue to have fun and enjoy what I do.
TR: Does your husband like it?
DP: Yes, absolutely. He’s at every race. He loves it almost as much as I do. He gets a thrill from every single one of my accomplishments.
TR: Is it boring going around the track over and over and over?
DP: Actually, if you stop to think about it, every job is like that.
TR: Yes, but most jobs aren’t as high risk as yours.
DP: What can I say? I get a charge from it. What’s the fastest you’ve ever driven?
TR: Maybe 55.
DP: How would you like doing 355?
TR: I wouldn’t be able to eat for a week.
DP: No. I would start you at 60 and gradually move you up. By the end, you would be addicted. You wouldn’t be able to live without the rush. Of course, you would need to think very, very, very fast.
TR: That disqualifies me right there.
DP: Well, not everyone is made for racing. I’ve been doing it since I was a little girl.
TR: You have already set some records.
DP: Yes, but only because I am one of the few female drivers. I would most like to break the men’s records.
TR: How is it you’re not afraid of the danger?
DP: I have a passion when it comes to fighting fear. I am a warrior when I get behind the wheel.
TR: Yet, you would not pose for Playboy.
DP: That’s not the same kind of fear.
TR: What fear is that?
DP: My husband would leave me.
TR: That’s not easy to understand – how you can be so brave on the one hand and so afraid on the other.
DP: No, but just to give you an example of how dicey this fear thing is, I read that Walt Disney was afraid of mice. Lots of famous actors are actually very shy and insecure people, too, except when they’re in front of the camera.
TR: What if a racing accident ended up hurting you?
DP: I don’t think about it – just like you. Haven’t you ever photographed a war zone?
TR: No.
DP: Oh, man. How can you say you’re a photographer if you always play it safe? What do you take pictures of, birthday parties?
TR: Fights sometimes break out at parties. I’ve lost three cameras that way.
DP: Ok, I’ll give you credit for that, but in my next race, I want you next to me photographing every moment of the race.
TR: It’s a very tempting offer. I will have to think about it for a month. I’m sure I’ll need medication.
DP: No, no, no – no medication.
TR: Well, at the very least, let me increase the amount of life insurance I have.
DP: No problem.
TR: You’re not planning to retire any time soon.
DP: Are you kidding? I said I have at least another 45 years left in me. I want to race until the very end. The races may be different, but I’ll be racing.
TR: For instance?
DP: Well, this is still secret, but we are planning long distance races in lower outer space – like NASCAR in the sky sort of thing. Our biggest backer is Richard Branson.
TR: What will you be racing?
DP: Planes, of course - 747s or SSTs or modified F16s, but please don’t print any of this yet.
TR: I won’t. May I take your picture now?
DP: With or without my top?
TR: Without.
DP: Ok, but don’t print it.
TR: Don’t worry, Ms Patrick, I won’t. Thank you.

DP: Thank you, sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment